Not working out really, really affects my mood.
This nasty cold that is bugging me since Tuesday keeps me from my workouts from my progress and messes up everything.
I guess I never realized how much working out actually improves my mood. How badly I need my workouts to stay reasonably sane - how much it helps with depression and anxiety, especially in these dreadful dark winter months.
I feel empty and lonely a lot these days, for a while already actually - trying to fill the void with hours of crappy TV shows and food.
Now the last healthy thing that has kept me sane has been taken away from me. At least that's what it feels like. Also I am scared of my fitness level decreasing by not working out, my muscles disappearing and everything feels like an unmanageable task right now.
I know those signs only too well. I should reach out and call someone, go for a coffee, do something, anything to pull myself out of this hole. But I don't want to. Cannot seem to. Yet, I know that's the only thing that helps. I was even considering going to the gym despite my cold - after some research I realized that might just things worse...
I need to get a grip and start taking care of myself, I know it. I just can not seem to figure out how these days.
Filling the void with hours of crappy TV shows and food? Are you sure you aren't my twin?
ReplyDeleteI really get the depression, and knowing what needs to be done yet still being unable to do it. As for working out, do you have free weights at home? Can you do arm exercises and abdominal work, maybe even while watching TV? (I know you mentioned your foot was a problem a while ago, so I wasn't sure if upper body stuff was ok or if that's out too...)
If the darkness of January is getting to you, I wonder if a lightbox would help. I'm going to order one soon, as my sleep is just so messed up. Anyway, they are supposed to help with mood/energy even if your sleep is normal.