Just learned a valuable lesson:
You can produce the BIGGEST shit, as long as you know how to sell it!
I am working for a company that produces hardware for communication - and for 3 months I have been looking forward to the 'speech impact' -training that i finally had today.
Now the trainer himself apparently has a contract with my company, a well known market-leader - and does all the internal communications-training in Europe.
And you know what? He knows SHIT! nothing!!!!
My very blunt Swedish colleague even asked very directly what his education was, what he bases his business on. Turns out he was educated in the HOTEL business, before working in SALES for a long time.
And he did 'a lot of READING' of course - so his knowledge comes from EXPERIENCE in front of a microphone.
Don't get me wrong, I am all pro experience, but if you are trying to TEACH someone, anyone something, should you not know the BASICS at least?
Basic communication models? Should you not explain what PITCH actually is, before telling people to use it?
Should you not EXPLAIN things yourself, instead of showing videos of actual actors or radio moderators who know their stuff??
Should you not know the basics of what you are teaching?
And you call yourself THE AUTHOR of this program?
PROGRAM? you mean the couple of power point slides some intern jotted down with a couple of random, slightly sexual pictures?
As I said, you don't have to know shit - you just have to sell yourself.
I hate that. I know my shit, I just don't know how to SELL myself!
I studied this - language and communication, four years, in 3 countries. I did all the hard work, the linguistics, the models, the theory, the boring but essential stuff and yet, I am selling myself short. And do boring underpaid jobs.
I would do this job so much better, than this little sales-creep.
But I am selling myself short.
No comments:
Post a Comment