I wrote about this recently - but this whole food-bullshit is still intensely bugging me. And it's driving me insane. Literally.
My head is spinning with numbers, ingredients, amounts of fat, protein, carbs, sugars. I am overinformed and therefor underachieve in weight loss. I have no idea whats right anymore.
Most of my day is/was wasted on counting calories, reading about foods and diets, analyzing eating-plans, trying to implement this plan or that idea, low carb, slow carb, high protein.
I am fed up with reading and comparing labels, eating what some sort of industry or health guru tells me to eat/buy.
I learned how protein keeps you full longer - so for a while I focus on protein. Then I hear the body needs a certain amount of carbs to function properly - so I re-implement carbs to my diet.
I even came across the wonderful advise to cut out fruit from one's diet altogether... because apparently it has too much sugar/fructose???? And we DON'T need it??????????
Then I hear the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas toy with your insulin levels - so even if you don't consume the calories of a regular soda you get hungrier and eat more later one. Moreover it's bad for your bones (for some good reasons that I forgot). So I drink regular soda (every now and then instead).
My nutritionist tells me I should eat more smaller meals throughout the day to keep a steady insulin level and not get too hungry - somewhere else I read that 3 - 5 hours between meals and therefor a low insulin level burns more fat/calories......
My nutritionist also highly advised me to eat margarine instead of butter - some other sources highly advise not to eat margarine at all - apparently the molecule-structure of margarine is just one molecule away from plastic... and that hydrogenated fat is the worst one can possibly consume...
Then I read how exposure to cold burns a lot of calories - so I spent long dreadful minutes in the shower, twice a day... only to lie in bed shivering afterwards.
WHAT NOW? Who is right, who is wrong. THIS IS INSANE!
My actual life is passing me by while I am counting calories... I am eating stuff that I don't enjoy and then I catch up / binge up later to compensate for the lack of pleasure and the feeling of actually being satisfied by a meal.
Raw foods? Juicing? Ready-to-drink-shakes in convenient cans? Medi-this, Slim-that, low-this, high-that - it's almost turning into a religion and a matter of believe.... This is INSANE and UNHEALTHY.
This has got to STOP.
FORTUNATELY I came across some SANE advise:
Eat healthy. And when hungry. EVERYBODY KNOWS WHAT HEALTHY IS!!!
As healthy as possible. As pleasurable as possible. Paying attention to my body - feeling how much is enough, instead of blindly following a book/show/DVD/plan composed by someone who never even met me...
Pasta for dinner won't kill me, and does not necessarily mean a gain in weight - if it's a reasonable amount.
A banana for instance - as against some highly altered low fat, low carb, high-protein artificially flavored and sweetened yogurt (if this can even still be called a yogurt!!) which has the nutritional value of an old tire...
An apple - instead of some supposedly healthy, bad tasting fruit crackers (where not one piece of real fruit can be found in).
Plain stuff - without LABELS or written amounts of calories, protein, sugars, fats, carbs, bla....
And for what it's worth - I've never seen a bloody LABEL on a BANANA!!
Or lettuce for that matter..........
PS. While writing this post I was thinking about my grandparents and how they ate. They ate regularly, together, including everything they wanted - from butter to all sorts of meat - AND according to season. Whatever was available from their garden, or their neighbors' garden. Cherry cakes in the summer, cabbage dishes in the winter. They enjoyed their meals including all foods, no restrictions - and yet - none of them was ever over weighed and they both lived long healthy lives!!!
And none of them ever needed advise on nutrition. No plans. Nothing was ever forbidden. And I bet they had better things to think about all day than stupid calories...

Hi! This was my first visit to your blog - I thoroughly enjoyed your rant! Everything you said is true!! Last year I lost 50 pounds then gained 60... UGH. My mantra now is "Eat Better. Move More." I feel any choice that falls under Better or More (Movement, that is, not food - ha, ha) is a success. I'll visit again. Keep up the good work! ~ Angie
ReplyDelete